Ah, the start of a new year, bringing fresh hope and beginnings of – we hope – ambition and success. Not just for our models, but to everyone.
We seem to be busier than ever. This is only good news, and we’re certainly not complaining or waving a tiny white flag whilst muttering, “No more…please…now more!” We enjoy being busy, and are models thrive on it.
However, some of you may find an over-hectic life has a kind of Catch-22 effect on your general wellbeing. Wouldn’t it be great to simply have a couple of spare hours to…well, relax. You may be super busy with work, or with your vivacious children, or with the seemingly endless list of chores and social events that accrue over the festive period and into February. Skip through your diary (these are defunct yet, although we assume a large proportion of readers use their Smartphones), and you may find that all but a few daily entries contain some sort of manic scribbles. You didn’t realise that it is Dave’s birthday at the weekend, did you, or that you have an AGM this week. What about health appointments, classes or sports events? Hmm…time to be calm, and remain that way.
“Keep calm and carry on” is a ubiquitous slogan these days, and it is as relevant now as it was in the 1930s when it was first launched. But how to achieve this (when you have the time!)?
Here are MD’s pointers to attain serenity and composure when you really need it.
1. You’re not alone! It’s easy to assume that you’re the busiest person in your postcode area, but trust us, whilst you may very well be in demand most of the time, there’ll be others in the same chaotic boat.
2. Bad decisions are often made in a state of agitation. Take a breather before committing yourself to an engagement or a promise; it couldn’t come back to bite you on the you-know-what!
3. Stick to a regular time to rise-and-shine. Avoiding erratic times to wake-up kick-starts your brain and increases focus levels.
4. Try soothing exercises after a warm shower or bath. This works for a lot of people!
5. What’s the plan, Stan? Being organised a day ahead of yourself can reap huge benefits. Don’t look at your schedule on the same day; that’s when a foreboding sense of panic rears its ugly head.
6. What’s the worst that can happen? Whilst it’s true that missing an important appointment or forgetting an obligation is ill-advised, concentrate on the true ramifications and you may realise that it’s not as disastrous as you first thought. If in doubt, come clean and admit your shortcomings – we’re all human and we’re certainly not all flawless. Stewing on it with only increase stress and won’t help in the long run.
7. Stick to a healthy diet. Don’t skimp on veg, fruit, fish and nutritious items like pulses, nuts and lean meats. Healthy body, healthy mind and all that!
8. Models – never stress about an assignment. Be satisfied that your look is the one chosen by our client, and remember that we’re always available to iron out any glitches. Just pick up the phone and we’ll be glad to help you!
Just when you think everything’s happening at once, take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Staying calm can only make your decision-making better, and, overall, improve your life. Let’s all wish for a rewarding – but unflustered – 2023.