We cannot believe we’re already heading towards the end of the year. How did that happen? Well, such is the nature of time. It keeps ticking and waits for no one. Busy models know how time whizzes past on assignments and juggling their everyday activities and routines. So, how can we go about staying focused and making the most out of the rest of this year? Models Direct will lend you a few tips in this reading.
With a million things that can distract us, one being our devices, it’s pretty challenging to stay on task. However, trailing off is super easy with all the turbo-fast access to information around us. Concentration needs to be worked at and takes mental strength to achieve. It doesn’t happen, overnight folks, sorry. We’ve been there and done that. But when the going gets tough, like you’ve got a modelling assignment coming up alongside a project to hand in at uni, a presentation to prep for or an important upcoming appointment, the key is not to give up!
Here are some useful tips you can try to stay focused and keep on track!
1. Remove distractions
Out of sight, out of mind, right? Start by removing triggers and entering into a space of calm. Avoiding every single distraction just isn’t possible and realistic but you can certainly start with some small steps.
• Move to a quiet space
• Turn off notifications on your devices
• Inform others about what you’re trying to achieve so everyone is on the same page
2. Place realistic boundaries on your internet usage
If you limit your time on the internet, you’ll have more time to inject elsewhere. We know it’s hard not to scroll through your feeds and emails every 5 minutes but there has to be a boundary. The hardest thing is, that you’re the one in control of the boundaries. Where do you start and stop? You’ll have to set yourself a reasonable time limit to allow yourself to scroll and swipe. You’ll free up more time to concentrate on the things that are important for you to cover.
3. Fuel up on power foods
Our brain uses 20% of the energy produced by the body. If we don’t feed it the good stuff, we may decrease capabilities such as sharp focus and memory.
Optimise your focus with:
• Healthy fats like avocados, nuts and salmon.
• Leafy greens such as spinach, kale and broccoli.
• Berries like blueberries, raspberries and blackberries
• Don’t forget, drink plenty of water!
4. Sleep better to stay focused
You’re probably quite aware that we all need a good night’s sleep – and it rings true. Sleep and focus are interconnected but can have a knock-on effect if the optimum level of sleep is not consistently maintained. Adults need at least 7 hours of sleep whilst children need between 8 to 13 hours depending on their age.
Some tips we can offer for a peaceful nighttime routine are:
• Set bedtime the same for every night including weekends. Your body will fall into a natural rhythm making it easier to sleep. Intend to wake up at the same time too!
• Switch off all devices in and around your room so your body is free from any technological distractions.
• Create a calm and relaxing bedtime so you can start to wind down from your demanding day.
• Avoid eating and drinking late (this is a tough one!) as it takes time for your body to process food and fluid. Having a late late dinner will leave you feeling sluggish, causing digestive nuisances such as reflux, flatulence or extra trips to the bathroom.
Our team, Models Direct, hope that you all find these tips useful. If you have any tried and tested tips of your own, give us a shout on social to let us and our readers know what helps you stay focused.